Current:Home > ContactWoman files suit against White Sox after suffering gunshot wound at 2023 game -Prime Capital Blueprint
Woman files suit against White Sox after suffering gunshot wound at 2023 game
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 21:07:40
A woman who suffered a gunshot wound at a Chicago White Sox game last year has filed a lawsuit against the team and the state agency that operates Guaranteed Rate Field, claiming that they failed to enforce a stadium ban on firearms and protect attendees from foreseeable dangers.
Attorney John J. Malm said last week that the suit was filed Thursday in Cook County Circuit Court on behalf of the woman, then 42, who is identified only as Jane Doe.
"Our client, an innocent attendee, suffered serious injuries as a result of the failure to take proper security measures, we believe," Malm said.
The woman is seeking more than $50,000 in damages, personal injuries and losses.
The incident occurred in the fourth inning of an Aug. 25, 2023, game against the Oakland A's. The plaintiff in the lawsuit was hit in the leg, while a 26-year-old woman sitting in the same section of the outfield bleachers also suffered a graze wound to her abdomen.
All things White Sox: Latest Chicago White Sox news, schedule, roster, stats, injury updates and more.
The law firm denied rumors that the woman smuggled a gun into the stadium and accidentally shot herself.
When asked Tuesday by the Associated Press if detectives had determined where the shots came from, a Chicago Police spokesman would only say that the investigation remains open.
Representatives from both the White Sox media relations department and Illinois Sports Facility Authority were unavailable for comment.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Alex Murdaugh’s lawyers want to make public statements about stolen money. FBI says Murdaugh lied
- Barges are bringing cranes to Baltimore to help remove bridge wreckage and open shipping route
- Alessandro Michele named new creative director of Valentino after Gucci departure
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Truck driver convicted of vehicular homicide for 2022 crash that killed 5 in Colorado
- SportsCenter anchor John Anderson to leave ESPN this spring
- Democrat who campaigned on reproductive rights wins special election for Alabama state House seat
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- An Oil Company Executive Said the Energy Transition Has Failed. What’s Really Happening?
Ranking
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Elizabeth Chambers Addresses Armie Hammer Scandal in Grand Cayman: Secrets in Paradise Trailer
- Biden New York City fundraiser with Obama and Clinton on hand is expected to bring in over $25 million
- Ex-New Mexico lawmaker facing more federal charges, accused of diverting money meant for schools
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Shakira and Emily in Paris Star Lucien Laviscount Step Out for Dinner in NYC
- How Queen Camilla Made History at Royal Maundy Service
- Women's Sweet 16 bold predictions for Friday games: Notre Dame, Stanford see dance end
Recommendation
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
For-profit school accused of preying on Black students reaches $28.5 million settlement
Federal appeals court keeps hold on Texas' sweeping immigration in new ruling
The 50 Most Popular Amazon Items E! Readers Bought This Month: Viral Beauty, Kyle Richards' Picks & More
'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
NYC will try gun scanners in subway system in effort to deter violence underground
NFL’s newest owner joins the club of taking stock of low grades on NFLPA report card
Paige DeSorbo Speaks Out After Boyfriend Craig Conover Called Breakup Very Probable